Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in West Springfield, MA
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help enhance the visual aesthetics in your home. One problem homeowners have with wood windows is the possibility for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their nutrition from wood, which may cause homeowners a lot of issues when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avoid termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to eliminate or decrease the opportunity for termites to get close to your home. Here are a few suggestions from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help decrease the chance of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotten wood. Termites will use this as a route to get to the house. Particularly for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also look for water and moisture, so it’s important to make sure your home, including small crawl spaces, are properly ventilated and encourage air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Full gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are near the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Most termites develop their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their greatest chance to get in the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella West Springfield has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers advanced protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can check out your home for any current termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avoid any damage, visit the West Springfield showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our specialists give you a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at (413) 561-7599 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.