Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in West Springfield, MA?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is arriving in West Springfield and you can still find time to make sure the windows and door in your home are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors can help ensure that your home keeps you comfortable and helps save on energy costs.
What can you do to prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on your home’s windows and doors can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to eliminate air from coming back in the home when windows and doors are closed. It can become loose or torn over time, so check it out and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Get rid of damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Evaluate the exterior surface of your windows and doors for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of defense from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you want more information about preparing your windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in West Springfield at (413) 561-7599.